Thursday, March 5, 2009

BUBBLES!




Bubbles are always a hit. I was just practicing in the backyard with Bruno for some bubble making we're going to be doing in our Art 2 class tomorrow (we're studying circles). I used to make homemade bubble solution when I was a kid, but since I've been a mom and a teacher these last few years I have had a devil of a time mixing up a solution that worked at all. I used to be able to make giganto bubbles... I finally figured out today what the problem has been. HARD WATER. We've got hard water here at our house. Tap water was not cutting it. I bought distilled water from HEB and presto chango. Huge beautiful bubbles and Bruno jumping around screaming, shrieking, laughing, having himself a time. Bubbles are one of those great crossover activities that are awesome for all ages, from babies to big kids to, uh, certain 34 year olds who get way too excited about stuff like this. Anyway, here's the recipe I used:

6 c. distilled water
1/2 c. Joy or Dawn
3/4 tbsp. light caro syrup or glycerin.

Don't forget that anything with holes can be a bubble wand. We used a potato masher and other kitchen implements, a funnel, a diving ring, and a flyswatter. Not everything works but you'll have fun experimenting. Or not.

Much more bubble recipes found here. Though I would so love to make this someday:

The Secret Formula

The Base Mix:
1 and 1/2 Gallons of steam distilled (only) water
60 ounces Miracle Bubbles
40 ounces Super Miracle Bubbles
20 to 25 ounces Dawn Complete (Dishsoap), green or blue
25 ounces Dawn Lift-Action, red (wildflower Medley) or Yellow
This, I call the base mix. This seems to store pretty well and so I wait to add other stuff until I'm within one or two days of bubble time where I will use it all up.

The "lubes":
Also, in advance, I mix up the "lubes" with another 2 gallons of water.
Some of the "lubes" need to be premixed a day ahead.
4 ounces Astroglide (personal Lubricant), purple box into one gallon of water. (Found in the unmentionables department)
2 and 1/2 ounces of Equate (personal Lubricant)(a walmart brand) into 1/2 Gallon of water. wallmart sucks and you may be able to substitute a pharmacy product called Surgilube.
6 to 8 ounces Light Karo Corn Syrup into 1/2 Gallon of water.
Shake the lubes occasionally and before adding to the base mix.

The Beer:
Lastly, one beer. We use an 11 ounce "Full Sail Session" Lager (5.1% alch.)

This makes some mondo bubbles, as you can see.

No comments: